Sunday 28 September 2014

The Grass is always greener...


Ahhhh - how many got caught out by the title of this? Hahaha. I am a bit of a gardener so I know the truth of the greener grass. Great quote. Great truth that has helped me often over the years.
But I was reminded of it these last days, partly when thinking over some 'fields' I am considering at the moment and also when coming across a quote that stopped me in my tracks, by John Piper - a great man of God



Completing my second week at the European School of Supernatural Life has been great and caused some thoughts I have been challenged by in the past to resurface for further thought.
It would be so easy to live a  nice, comfortable Christian life. Often I do. 
It's easy to love my neighbour...as long as they are nice to me, don't make life uncomfortable or ask me for things I don't want to give them such as time, possessions emotions and are my type of people.
It's easy to love and respect my husband...as long as he has done the same back to me and completed the list of things I left him to do.
Yes, God can have my money ....as long as I have paid my tax, bills and other stuff first, just to be sure I have enough. 
The list can go on but so can the 'as long as's

A talk by Bill Johnson that I listened to earlier, added this quote to the challenge - 

'Some folk have protected their comfort zone with unbelief''

WOW!

I can so often kid myself that I don't really need to obey this or that bit of God's word and have a great portfolio of excuses to support those assumptions. Actually, God still loves and values me whether I am all out for Him or not. I have no more or less favour with Him or love from Him if I sit at home all day and watch TV, maybe venturing out every now and them to church or to do some other 'christian duty'.  
But I don't want to get to the end of my life, standing before God, for Him to tell me I missed out on a bunch of adventures He had lined up for me.


The Arsenal/Tottenham match is on in the background at this moment ('someone' else is watching it) These guys are totally sold out for their game. Fully committed. Buzzed

I have had days like that with God. I want more. I want loads more. I want others to have more. If I take God at His word, I can. It's there in black and white! 
But I can easily chicken out because things are outside my comfort zone. 
'When Jesus says I will do even greater things than Him, did He mean EXACTLY that? I have made excuses to avoid fully believing it but actually, the faith adventure means I believe what it says! And there is more...So much more. I can take God at His word. Be a bold adventurer. 

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego had the right idea in the book of Daniel...that God is able and will deliver - But even if He doesn't......Daniel 3:16-18

I want to water this field of faith and see the grass grow and if life feels wasted at the end, it won't be for want of trying. My comfort zone will be protected...by belief in God but we intend, He and I, that that comfort zone will keep growing out beyond its boundaries

No comments:

Post a Comment