Tuesday 2 June 2015

A Stormy Day in Portballintrae

SO! Hubs and I are here in Northern Ireland having an extra week break after a fabulous time at Causeway Coast Vineyard's 'Encounter More' conference. WHAT a challenge and inspiration it was. As well as hearing from Alan Scott and being taken out to minister on the streets of Coleraine with Mark Marx and Jason McNamara, we had talks from Rachel Hughes, Pete Greig, Julian Adams and David Ruis and I attended an utterly inspirational seminar by Tre Sheppard about bringing life to our city.
Now we are settled in a beautiful apartment right by the sea at Portballintrae and I am writing this from the living area balcony view, pictured yesterday in all the day's sunshine and blueness.


Today is a different story! The only thing to distinguish the grey sky from the grey sea - WHEN you can see either through the driving rain - is that the sea is a little darker at the moment! Wind splutters and moans through each crevice it can find here in the apartment. And if rain goblins really existed, then they are spitting raindrops through goblinny peashooters at the windows...tat-tat-tatatat! Hubs is currently pushing some zzzzzzzs on the bed after our hectic few days. Me - I LOVE this weather - when I am inside - or properly dressed for it outside!
When my Sweeties were little, whenever we had a storm, I would send them outside to play in their undies (sorry kids) and to dance in the rain which they absolutely LOVED and I loved seeing the joy of it all, enjoying their delighted squeals. Of course, now that they are older and know about lightning being able to strike and kill in storms, they have exclaimed, 'MOM!!! What were you THINKING?!' but it's a great memory. And I BET they will do it with their own offspring...and if they don't, well, what is THIS Nanna for? *sneaky wink*

Now, looking out through the window, I see the waves roll and lunge, compelled by nature towards the beach,  but being attacked by the driving wind seemingly trying to repel them back to the expanse of sea behind. But the waves are single-minded. They only have one goal - to reach the edge of the beach and they push relentlessly on. The wind is not giving up and whips off swathes of spray from the top of each wave as it bows over, tossing the 
surrendered water behind in a shower that is powerless to do anything but submit and sink back into the oblivion of the Big Briny. No glory. No victory this time. Time to bide.

As I watched this fight unfolding, I was mindful that so often, Nature reflects Life. And why wouldn't it? Both have the creative touch of God Almighty. Life can be a sunshiney blue-skyed beach one day and flip over to a gathering storm or a full blown typhoon on another. Unlike the sea, we have a choice in our circumstances, though our choices may resemble the waves. I can push on through the crazy and fulfil my destiny, called out by my Father God and my heart's desires. When I am knocked off course, I can rejoin the fray with renewed determination and purpose or I can settle for what the world tosses at me, bemoan my circumstances, blaming everything and everybody but myself and give up.


Back to my seat now. As the photo (roughly taken with my phone) shows, the storm didn't last. Unexpectedly, despite the weatherman's prediction of a 36 hour stormy onslaught, the storm passed. In the process, beauty broke out. The photo doesn't properly capture the breath-taking brilliance of the rainbow nor quite, the formation of a second just above but it gives witness to the notforeverness of the storm and reminds me that God is present in all our circumstances, even though we may not see it or perceive it until the storm passes.

Later that afternoon, Hubs and I walked down onto the beach and I sat on a stone watching the waves at close quarters, enjoying their thundering power. Enjoy it with me here (though you may want to switch off the sound as it was still mighty windy) and maybe, in the muted watching of it, 'Be still and know that He is God'



No comments:

Post a Comment