Sunday 14 June 2015

Crushing Grapes

The other week, for some unmemorable reason, I was trying to recall the identity of an entertainer from the days of my youth who had the catchphrase, 'Ooh - I am SO excited I could crush a grape!' Being me, I couldn't rest until I knew so hit Google. It was a guy called Stu Francis. I used to love watching him as a teen. He was so funny whether it was on one of those satisfying variety shows or on Crackerjack - THE show for all kids to watch at five to five on a Friday. What brought a bigger smile to my face was the song he sang which included all the funny catchphrases he used to use - have a look and prepare to cringe. Hard to believe that was his 'latest single' though if it was re-released nowadays, it might make Christmas Number One. Stranger tracks have done it!

This grape-crushing phrase came back to me this week...I will clarify later.

The Mendip Hills.
Click on the picture to enlarge it if you want to see it better
Life at the moment seems to drift in and out of periods of uncertainty about life, family, future - very like the picture above. Way out in the distance, there may be some expectations or understanding or even hope of what I will find there but at this time, it is shrouded in secrecy because of the cloud. Nearer, in the middle distance, some things are showing their form but still not very clear or precise. In the foreground, the immediate, things are pretty obvious and identifiable but still there are areas hidden and as yet unexposed. In all areas, there are details of things I won't be sure about until I approach them, until I am nearer or even upon them and when the fog lifts, warmed by the rising sun. At any point, there may be 'no entry' signs or no clear access to the way ahead! 
So as examples, my 'way out in the distance' might include where will we be living and what will the Sweeties be doing? Middle distance I am asking what does our faith-walk look like and what will we be involved with in life? Near time is what is happening in my various relationships and how do I use my days in this time of comparative uncertainty and upheaval?
Then last night, as I was awake and up in the early hours as I sometimes am, my mind turned to some of my favourite verses in the Bible, from Psalm 73 -

photo: Cory Poole Photography
 'Yet I am always with You; You hold me by my right hand; You guide me with Your counsel and after, You will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but You? And being with you, there is nothing I desire on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.'

And here was when I thought about crushing the grape! Let me explain.

I had started to fret about uncertainties - isn't it always the way in the dead of night when all is quiet and everyone else is asleep?! I didn't feel very content to trust the 'foggy' areas to God. I always want to know NOW (That is why I read the end of a book first or look up film plots on IMDB!) I didn't even feel particularly close to Him so wasn't convinced about not needing anything else on earth but Him in those moments. 
Then I spied my guitar and picked it up. In the low light of the lamp, I strummed away with a few of the 6 or so chords I know how to play and just sang quietly the things that I knew about who God was and how amazing He is - my shield and defender, my rock, my satisfaction...
This simple act was like the crushing of a grape. 
You don't have to be strong to crush a grape but there is a sense of achievement, albeit a small one, and a certain satisfaction. Those simple small acts can grow. So, say, you start by crushing a grape and maybe move onto popping a plum, bursting a banana and then rip an apple in half with your bare hands! Progression. Satisfaction. Realisation that your experience doesn't stop at grapes. You are more! Inside you, there's more!

Dakota night
So I started worshipping simply and thoughts grew as I sang out. The little things I knew of God, sung out loud to a made up tune, stirred in my head and my spirit. I sang more and gazed long at Him in my imagination. Even the two simplest words, 'You are', sung over and over, penetrated my being and my love grew. He is; He IS; He really is all I need. My trust found its feet again and my burden lifted. I felt wrapped in His peace and deep in His presence. If I didn't need the beauty sleep, I might have gone out into the dark of night to find a puddle! Maybe tomorrow!






No comments:

Post a Comment