Tuesday 2 December 2014

Doing a New Thing

One of the things I love about God is that He never stops changing us and blowing our minds. He is not beyond using any way He can to reach out to His children but He does it in ways we can understand even though we don't realise that we will understand at the time!!
God knew about computers and the internet even at the time of Moses but it wasn't time to use them then. WOW!! This picture proves God was right to hold off...Moses doesn't look anywhere near as authoritative with a pc as he does with stone tablets!!

When I first came across the internet, I wasn't bothered about this new technology and was very resistant to exploring it, especially email because I liked the old way of posting a letter (which I still like to do when I can). When Hubs sat me down and persuaded me to give it a go, I then started to use email and WISHED I had used it way before!
It took some mistakes during the whole learning experience to familiarize myself enough to feel confident on my own but then, exploration on my own of the internet opened up amazing new worlds to me.
When I first came across a new depth of understanding in the person and work of Holy Spirit, I resisted. It wasn't in my experience beyond a basic knowledge, to step out in these new ways with Holy Spirit and I knew God well enough for my needs, thank you very much! I didn't want to tread into 'wacky'.Raising my hands above my head in worship took me a LONG time and that was sufficient for me. As for flag-waving? PURLEES!! I had agreed with a friend who commented, 'Flag-waving? What's that about?'
Praying for healing? That gift wasn't mine....I tried it a couple of times but it never 'worked'. Nope! I was comfortable with God being who I knew Him to be. So when I got invited into new steps and experiences with God, Father, Son AND Holy Spirit through the ministry of our vicar, Nigel Di Castiglione and his wife, Annie, and let myself be persuaded to give it a go, particularly in helping Annie to lead the church student work with Hubs, I felt resistant and reluctant but said I would give it a year in order to support Hubs, who was keen. My plan was then to go back into the comfort of my familiar world! As you may have picked up from earlier posts, this time in the student group was not only transformational personally in our relationship with God, but opened other doors to growth and drove us to seek out other ways to grow in our faith...my latest step being the WAAAAAY-out-of-my-comfort-zone year in progress at ESSL

I read a quote today.


'The Christian's faith isn't a leap into the dark. It is a well-placed trust in the Light of the World, Jesus' 
Ravi Zacharias


I was speaking to a group of elderly folk, mainly ladies, at another church recently who are facing some BIG changes over, probably, the next twelve months. Their attitude was, 'Well, none of us like change but we have to go through it is we want to grow.'!
It was humbling to hear, especially as I reflected on my own past. It's one thing to say we want to change and see God at work in our lives. It's another to actually take the step when faced with that option in reality.
With God, there are no times of transition, says Eric Johnson of Bethel church. God is ALWAYS moving us forward, from one degree of glory to the next
My part in that is to be open and willing to move. Staying put is not an option I want to take - ever! When God wipes away my tears as He welcomes me into heaven, I don't want those tears to be there because I regret things I haven't done, because I didn't take the opportunity to take part in the works that God prepared in advance for me to do or grasp those opportunities that crossed my path where I could be His voice, His heart and His hands in a situation.

So, in the words of Hosea 6:3
Let us acknowledge the Lord; let us press on to acknowledge Him. As surely s the sun rises, He will appear; He will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth.

YES!! Let's!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment