Saturday 6 December 2014

The Good Old Days.....

I know the Good Ol' Days will always be the Good Ol' Days, but coming across this today, I do think some aspects of the past are so sweet...


Yet, in considering the field of all that lies in the past, I realise that looking at the past can be a good thing to ponder from time to time but not to rest over-long in. Just long enough to learn lessons; bring a smile to your face, be thankful for and either lay down sadness or pick up rejoicing. As I shared a comment in the last post, God is always wanting us to change - from glory to glory. It is down to us whether we allow that into our lives or remain, stubbornly stuck in all that we are comfortable and familiar with.
As I consider our recent past...say the last few years, there is much to be sad about and mourn over, but much so more to marvel about and celebrate and...YAY...LOADS more to look forward to and anticipate. 
The stormy times of this year have sometimes made me yearn for the 'Led Zepplin' days - when life seemed exhilerating; when I couldn't sleep at night because I was so excited instead of not sleeping because I was sad, cross, bewildered or fretting. But 'God doesn't bring you to it if He's not going to bring you through it', as the saying goes.



I love the saying in this picture. It reminds me that life experiences can make me bitter or better. God's love for me keeps me strong. His love for me and for others is never changing It is constant;  and in remembering that, I can give Him my tendencies to choose bitterness and make life choices that express His love in me and through me. I don't want to live life running away from storms but I don't want to let them pass me by without learning. Storms destroy much. In recovering from them, one could retreat - find a safer place -  or rebuild, incorporating adaptations so that another storm is faced differently and feared less. How does that work out in life? Lots of ways but for me at the moment, it is learning that, however much I feel people have hurt me or let me down, what God wants is for me to pull out all the stops and love them. Alone I can't. But His word is true. God didn't say loving and forgiving were easy but He did say they would work. He gives grace in time of need. Pray for those that hurt you. Bless them. Live in peace.



David was a great psalmist and poured his guts into his writings - whether in praise or despair. God can take it. 'Trust in Him at all times...pour out your heart before Him' says Psalm 62:8
Well, Lord - sometimes my psalm would say,  'That person needs a high five...in the face...with a chair...' or plead for strength and grace...but in the end, God is the one who is worthy of praise. My spirit joins with Holy Spirit to touch the heart of God and know His love for me.
In tough times, I can look rosily on the past but my hope is only in God. Only in His presence can I know for sure that His future for me is the best future it can be.
That's what I want. No Compromise.


No comments:

Post a Comment