Monday 19 January 2015

Impossible

This week has been a busy old one, hence my late post but I am prompted today to get something out there!

I came across a quote (what a surprise) and it hit me as being very relevant to something God spoke to me about in School last week. It was during a worship time when the band played 'Oceans' 

First the quote - and I add my own picture here because it feels more personal, more of my very own heart, deliberately, wrapped round and held there by the hand of the God of the Impossible

Use me, God.
Show me how to take
who I am, 
who I want to be, 
and what I can do, 
and use it 
for a purpose
greater than myself

Martin Luther King

...and I promise
still to go for it
even if is seems
impossible!
Me

Second - the song. As I listened to the words, silently mouthing them myself, I heard the words afresh.
 'Spirit, Lead me where my trust is without borders; 
let me walk upon the waters 
wherever You would call me. 
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander 
and my faith will be made stronger 
by the presence of my Saviour.'
I suddenly realised that what I meant when I asked God to take me into the 'impossible' held the unspoken proviso of, 
'So long as I am comfortable doing it!'

I was taken aback! Especially since I had been speaking to Him about a situation possibly emerging in life that looked WAY unlikely - even impossible - so much so that I didn't know whether it was even worth the attempt! But here, now, I realised that if I wasn't uncomfortable, it wasn't likely to be impossible. Besides, if God takes us TO a situation, He certainly plans to take us THROUGH it.
Was I really willing to be in a place that felt like floundering in sea without sand immediately underneath my tippy toes, with currents flowing and waves crashing? Could I then trust that, despite things being apparently against a venture, I could experience a sense of water-walking and being stunned at where God could take me if I kept my eyes on Him and not on circumstances?


Looking at Urup Island, here, I am struck that, until we get up close and involved in a situation, things may look impossible. The island doesn't look the best or easiest place for a climb. At closer quarters, footholds, crannies or even a path may be available. But I'd have to be THERE to know properly. When faced with an 'adventure' that God lays before me, I would be stupid to say no. First, if He chooses me, He knows I am the one for the job. Second, if He is involved, I couldn't wish for better backup or safer hands. Do I take the risk? The end of the story is yet to come!


As Benjamin Franklin once said,
'When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on'

and if you've time for a smile....click here

No comments:

Post a Comment