Wednesday 12 August 2015

No better place

At the end of any day, I like nothing better than to have a nice hot shower to wash off the exertion and get horizontal in my own, king-sized bed.
Some while ago, Hubs and I treated ourselves to some cotton bedding - 400 count pure Egyptian cotton linen. The more you wash it, the softer it gets. It is best on the night following its laundering in the day - washed with my favourite laundry conditioner that smells of Spring, tumbled in the drier and smoothed to near-perfection by beautifully unhindered strokes of the steam iron.

Sadly, this is not my real bed but I wish it was

As soon as I hit the sheets - sometimes literally as I like to scare Hubs by leaping into bed from a distance, occasionally taking a short run-up as I do so - I lie face-down and make the back of my feet like windscreen wipers on that cotton, relishing the softness against my feet and stroking my pillows with my hands and cheek. I stop short of purring contentedly.
I know I am probably not going to sleep when I get to heaven but I hope there will be a place to go and chill from time to time; somewhere to lie down on THE most heavenly soft sheets, eyes closed, and swish my feet whilst I enjoy the sound of the worship out there beyond, in the Throne Room. Meanwhile, here on earth, these gorgeous sheets are part of my idea of heaven after a long day.


As my body rests, and shuffles its contours into the bedding until I am blissfully swathed in duvet and sheets, I almost ALWAYS wonder why I didn't come to bed earlier - I hardly ever go before midnight. It is so NICE to be here. I am relaxed. I am at rest. I have nothing to do except to be. 
I lay there the other night and thanked God for this wonderful bed. 
I was reminded how often, when I have left it a while to read from my bible and spend time with God, I get so enthralled by what I read and by what He has to say to me, I end up with similar thoughts to all the above....WHY do I leave it so long when it is such a delicious experience? Why don't the memories of how wonderful it is to be in that place, spur me on to do so more and more? NO-ONE loves to spend time with me more than my heavenly Father does and He always makes it a special time...whether it is just the peaceful joy of hanging out together; the wonder of growing in the knowledge of Him; the challenge of my willingness to walk the next uncertain steps of life with Him - any and every aspect of my relationship with Him - it is all more than worthwhile and never regretted. Seeking Him out and chatting to Him about life is always worthwhile. Always worth repeating. Always worth the sacrifice.



It also helps keep life in perspective. When I know who I am and Whose I am, it doesn't mean life is all hunky dory, but it makes me feel safe because I am in the place that's best for me. Life is throwing up some shaky stuff at the moment - when isn't it? But I needn't wait to have an end-of-the-day- experience with my Father to talk it through with Him. He is there any time. Patient. Always. Expectant. Ready. 
And He doesn't flinch when I take a running jump towards Him!

1 comment: