Friday 18 January 2013

Punting


Sometimes, it's worth taking a punt at something.


No - I don't mean the boating sort. I mean taking a gamble.


'To take a punt at' -  to have an attempt or try at something


We had one of the students, D, over tonight - or rather, Hub did for a practice guitar sesh. I just walked in on their playing later after arriving home from work. I enjoyed the time I spent with the lads, nattering, messing about with guitars and getting to know D better, deepening that relationship and giving time to invest in his life. It seemed he had a good time here and after he headed off home, I reflected....


When Hub and I agreed to help out with the student group at church, I started somewhat reluctantly as 'students weren't really my thing' and really, as more of a favour to Hub cos he wanted to be involved with the group. I couldn't have guessed or even imagined how much it would enrich life and take me to such amazing new places with God alongside them. They are a great bunch of young people, as I said yesterday and our student pastor, A, is a mad, amazing and inspirational woman, whose very pores pour out the joy and the expectation of God and His Spirit at work.

BUT ...what if I had said, 'No' to the opportunity.
What if I closed the door on that option because it 'wasn't my thing' or because I didn't feel adequate - which I didn't.
My thinking had been that I could do it for the year and then duck out.
But now I feel like God honoured my reluctant step, my punt, and I hit a jackpot! I don't plan on leaving yet!
It felt like a trip down the rapids at times but SO worth it




Hub and I have the opportunity with them to share with A in these young lives in ways that not only build us up on both sides of the relationships but provide the opportunity to have a part in the future...in their lives and in lives of others they will come into contact with...and on down the generations. Equally, of course, their touch on OUR lives is an enrichment we wouldn't otherwise have experienced.
Our spiritual muscles get exercised and strengthened. Our expectations grow. God gives us more. We can't lose.

Mark Twain said,
'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover'

With the apostle Paul, I declare,


I want to learn to trust that when 'opportunities' come my way, my instinct to dismiss them isn't always the way to go

No comments:

Post a Comment